Sunday, June 7, 2009

Ride with hubs

Well, hubs and I took a ride together this past Thursday. We went to Harris and rode the beginner and both intermediate loops.

At the beginning, I was so ON...it was great! I was riding things I never ride - I don't think I got off the bike at all until we got to the beginning of loop 2. I had forgotten how hilly and rooty loop 2 is. And not having ridden the trails for a LONG time, I was T-I-R-E-D by then. Then one of my cables came loose and was rubbing against my tire, so hubs fixed that. Then my seat got all crazy on me and was sinking and falling and moving...we never did get that straightened out. Once that stuff started happening, I lost my bike mojo. I was pissed at myself for getting psyched out, but not at all surprised. So I walked a bit of loop 2.

What really surprised me was how freaking tired I was! I can ride 13 road miles no problem - we did 3 trail miles and I was DONE. WTF? But I'll continue to do both, I think. I've come to realize that I enjoy riding on road - it's the freedom to ride right from the house and away from my issues...the calm that comes with just pedaling and feeling the sun on my face and the breeze...But I think I enjoy it differently than trail riding. They are...different. Both fun in their own way.

Anyway, hubs and I had a pretty good time, despite my pissiness and issues during the ride. It still rubs me the wrong way that he can achieve so much in 2 trail rides and it's taken me almost a year to get where I am. But we are different people, have different riding styles and different goals, I suppose. I'm riding because *I* like to ride, just as he is. And we don't have to prove anything to each other.

We just have to ride. :)

1 comment:

Lidarman said...

Good to see you two get out.

Off-road riding is definitely harder than road riding. But I understand the nice part about riding from home. I do it often and enjoy the simplicity of it compared to driving to the trails.