Thursday, December 3, 2009

I was out, part deux

So after that whole spiel about riding my bike, I had actually kind of decided to go do it. What happened? The school called about my older kid, which resulted in a 1/2 hour conversation with the principal with a whole lotta "I don't know" and "Yeah...I don't know either." And then a whole lotta "We'll talk to the psychologist about it in a couple weeks when we see him" and "Yes, I'll add that to the list to talk to Dr. B about when we see him."

By the time the conversation was over, it was too late to go out for a ride. Maybe tomorrow.

I'm feeling sad for my kid. I know, I know...shake it off and toughen up. This is life and that's the way it is so suck it up.

To that I say: foxtrot oscar.

I'm allowed to feel sad for my kid. He's 8. I can't imagine him going through his whole life like this.

So anyway, I'm off to cry for a bit, then make dinner. Maybe some jewelry later.

3 comments:

Sally-Sal said...

What's wrong with your son?

I think it's good to feel sad for your kid. That just means you love him a lot. That makes him lucky.

Jodey said...

Hey Sal.

My son has severe ADHD, ODD (oppositional defiance disorder) and SID (sensory integration disorder).

He's 8. He takes 3 different medications a day.

We're going through a rough time this year with school, and none of us knows how to deal with the things he's doing. So we're bringing in the experts...again.

I'm just frustrated. And sad. And angry that all of us have to deal with this; most of all him. He doesn't deserve to be labeled a "bad" kid because he has a disability. And it's hard for people to realize that ADHD *is* a disability. Most people just think it's a pain in the ass. And it is...but it's so much more. It's pervasive. People don't get that medication for ADHD does not CURE it. It *helps* and that's about it. It's not a miracle...it allows kids like mine to listen, learn and function in a society that frowns about kids who don't fit the "good kid" mold.

Anyway...I do love him a lot. I just wish his life could be easier.

Sally-Sal said...

That can't be easy, for you, or for him.

I had my own share of emotional troubles, and let me tell you, the fact that you're there with him speaks volumes.
What I went through, I mostly went through alone. I lost friends, and it was hard for my family to understand that even though I took medication, that it was always going to be part of who I am.

You being supportive is the most important thing you could ever do. Believe me. As someone who has been 'a problem', and a big pain in the ass, it means the world to have someone on your side.