Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Gluten-free, Primal, Grain-free, Refined Sugar-free Vanilla Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

I got this recipe from Nourished and Nurtured, which, by the way, has some really great Primal/Paleo recipes.

I, of course, made this recipe my own for a couple reasons:
  1. Until yesterday, we were operating under the knowledge that my older son had an egg allergy. Apparently he has grown out of it...at least according to the allergist's skin prick testing. (We're still introducing it slowly, regardless of what their testing says).
  2. Eating raw eggs skeeves me.
Beware...this is a large volume of ingredients, so make sure your ice cream maker can handle it all.

Vanilla Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
makes 14 4oz servings (so about 7 cups)
*This recipe is refined sugar-free if you use chocolate chips without refined sugar in them*

3 cups of cold cream (the kind I use is from a local farm and has no carbs, sugars or protein)
1 cup cold whole milk (I use organic whole milk)
3/4 cup of forested raw honey (I have also used 1/2 honey, 1/2 organic maple sugar to cut down a bit on carbs)
1 Tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (I use Trader Joe's Bourbon Vanilla; if you use organic, consider lessening the amount as I find it to be much stronger than non-organic)
1/2 to 3/4 cup chocolate chips (I throw my Ghirardelli Double Chocolate chips in the food processor and they turn out perfectly for this recipe)
 The original recipe calls for 4 raw eggs yolks as well as 1/2 teaspoon celtic sea salt. I explained the egg thing above; I leave out the salt b/c the one time I put it in that's all I could taste.

1. Chop up the chocolate chips in your food processor, making sure to stop before they dissolve into powder. 
2. Combine the rest of the ingredients in a large bowl, but not the chocolate chips.
3. According to the directions of your ice cream maker, add the mixture to your ice cream maker. I always add the chocolate chips at this point, but you can wait until the mixture has attained a more ice-cream like texture.

Enjoy your ice cream! 

Nutritional Info (assumes 1/2c forested raw organic honey and 1/4c organic maple sugar, as well as Ghirardelli Double Chocolate Chips):

Whole Batch:
Calories: 3550.5
Fat: 289.2g
Sat fat: 171.9g
Carbs: 265.4g
Sugars: 239.1g 
Protein: 17.2g


Per Serving:
Calories: 253.6
Fat: 20.7g
Sat fat: 12.3g
Carbs: 19g
Sugars: 17.1g
Protein: 1.2g

No comments: