Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Cane sugar-free Primal Ice Cream

I've been wanting to make some chocolate ice cream ever since I made the strawberry ice cream last week...and tonight I got my chance.

I based my ice cream loosely on this recipe from Civilized Caveman Cooking Creations. Their version is dairy-free...mine is not.

Here's mine:
1 cup cold coconut milk (the kind in the can with all the good fat and hardly any carbs)
1 1/2 cups cold cream (like heavy whipping cream type stuff)
3T Hershey's Cocoa
1.5t Vanilla Extract
1/4c Xylitol (I use XyloSweet)
handful of slivered almonds
a few drops of unflavored liquid stevia (I'm currently using the Whole Foods brand)

Mix all the ingredients except almonds in a bowl. Make the ice cream according to your ice cream maker's directions. At least with my ice cream maker, you wait to put stuff like almonds in at the end. You really have to watch the ice cream maker because it "ice creams up" very quickly. It took less than 15 minutes for this batch.

Makes about 6 4oz servings.

The ice cream is not super sweet, but it's sweet enough to tickle your taste buds and make them happy. :D

I store my homemade ice cream in 4oz glass canning jars with plastic lids in the freezer.

Nutritional breakdown based on my calculations:
 Whole batch: 
Calories: 2021
Fat: 196.5g
Sat fat: 114g
Carbs: 77g
Sugar: 6g
Protein: 12g

1 ~4oz serving:
Calories: 337
Fat: 33g
Sat fat: 19g
Carbs: 13g
Sugar: 1g
Protein: 2g

No comments: