Thursday, October 15, 2009

Parenting the ADHD child

No, this has nothing to do with biking and everything to do with my extreme frustration with trying to parent a child with ADHD, and some other alphabet bullshit.

1. He's different. He's always going to be different, and damn, life would be so much easier if everyone could just accept that instead of trying to force him into some pigeonhole. HE WON'T FIT.

Different isn't bad. It's JUST DIFFERENT.

2. We have some serious parenting changes to make in the next week or so or the headbutting will continue. And yanno what? It's not fucking worth it. It gets us nowhere except really fucking angry at each other. And I don't want to be that person anymore.

3. I refuse REFUSE to put my child on more medication to make him more convenient for society. He, at 8 years old, takes between 3.5 and 4 pills a day. He needs to be able to develop and grow, with our guidance, and learn that he CAN stop and think and make good decisions without depending on more medication.

4. I need to get back into the mindset I used to have...patience, healthy food within our budget, supplements, reading about ways to help him (and me...we can all benefit from this) and putting all that into practice.

5. For my own mental stability, I need to ride more. I need that outlet.

There. That doesn't sound so hard, now does it?

Right.

No comments: