Thursday, October 23, 2008

Mental Stoppage

So...for all you experienced biker type peeps out there, how in the world do you get past a block that is mental? For instance, that place on the beginner trail that I stop at every friggin' time...how do I get past that mental block I have?

Here's the weird thing about it - first I'll explain what it is, then I'll tell ya what's weird. So after I go down this nice little...I hate to call it a downhill...it's more like a very low grade hill and curve where you can pick up a bit of speed...after I go down that, there is a little twisty part where I slow down and change into the easy gears and get up a hill - the trees here are thick together and close, but not too close. At the top of this hill are two trees, one a bit bigger than the other, and they are on either side of the trail, but optically seem very close together. I can see where people have scrubbed their handlebars getting through them. So I STOP (every god forsaken time), walk through them (while I'm still ON the bike, just not RIDING the bike) and go along my merry little way.

What's the weird part then? On the intermediate trail, on this rocky/gravely part of the trail that has bigger rocks lining it, there are trees together that are just as close as those trees on the beginner trail...in fact, there are a couple spots like that on the intermediate trail and I have NO PROBLEM getting through them.

So what the hell is my deal? And how do I get past this? It's really freaking annoying.

Wah.

2 comments:

Lidarman said...

There are parts of trails that are mind games.

They look completely different based on context.

I have some trails that I ride that have trees such that you have to tilt your bars to get trough. I still ride them knowing that...experience just tells me to slow to a near stop and tilt the bar. If you do that, you wil be fine on all trails that have narrow and deceptive trees.

Not much else to say other than it's great you are out riding and challenged. No one can argue against that.

Jodey said...

So it's kind of like powering up a hill you didn't think you could do...you just DO IT and if you fall or hit, then you fall or hit.